Sunday, September 16, 2007

Air[dry]ing Our Dirty [actually Clean] Laundry!

The long-awaited tour has arrived - at least in part! Sorry if the pictures are kind of small this time. The way I had to upload them is the second best method. But at least there are finally pictures! (I think you can click on each picture to enlarge if necessary.)



Note: I threw those grapes away immediately after taking the pictures. (Not very delicious.) But I did want to relay my amazement to you.
In other news, we did a whole lot of cleaning this weekend, as you may have noticed by the pictures! Today was the first hot and sunny day in the last two weeks, so we took advantage and washed practically every article of clothing we have. (I also mended both of my pairs of jeans. By an unlucky twist of fate, they both ripped badly within the first week of our arrival!) Things are getting put away and the apartment looks really nice.

I also went shopping with Kyla for a new cell phone. The Chinese method is way better than the American one: you buy a phone (mine was Y300, about $40), then a SIM card. The SIM card was Y100 ($12), but only Y30 of that actually pays for the card - the rest goes toward the calls you make. Each text message you send or call you make is Y.25 ($.03) (per minute for the calls). Receiving is free. There's no monthly charge! although there is a Y10/month minimum, and I decided to pay Y2/month extra to get nights and weekends for only Y.1/minute. So cheap!

Also, Jinpeng said that people from home can send letters and packages to us via his coffee shop. Here's the address:

Lisa/Tom
c/o On the Way Coffee House
103 Qiaodong Street
Nan'gang District
Harbin, China 150001

If you do send us a package, and if you have time, could you write Jinpeng a postcard and send it in the package? (He speaks English.) He collects postcards from all over the world, and we think it would be nice as a thank you for him letting us use his address. If you can't, no worries.

Next time: another room of the apartment and the newest Chinese National Holiday - my birthday!

3 comments:

Brian K said...

What a cozy place you guys have. Considering that this is Harbin, I also hope that your radiator works.

I do remember those excellent textbook drawings. They were all so creepy and entertaining. So it was a drawing of Tom, huh? How pompous of him to hang his own picture above his desk.

My favorite part of this post is the way the last scene depicts Tom like he's some Luddite from the 50s and Lisa like a total yuppie technology crazed bimbo.

Anonymous said...

hi

Anonymous said...

oh, and by the way, happy happy birthday, my dearest love